Click on the image above to view larger
This recipe is one of a set of gorgeously illustrated vintage Sunkist recipes I found in Grammy's recipe box preserved in nearly pristine condition. Feel free to download the image so you can print it out and use it in your kitchen.
- 4 Sunkist oranges
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Remove peel from four Sunkist oranges in quarters
- Cover with cold water in saucepan
- Bring to a boil
- Cook slowly until soft
- Using a spoon, remove white portion off orange peels
- Using kitchen scissors, cut yellow (orange) portion in thin strips
- In separate saucepan, boil 1/2 cup of water and sugar until syrup will thread when dropped from tip of spoon [thread stage is 230°F-235°F)*]
- Cook orange peel strips in syrup for 5 minutes
- Coat with fine granulated sugar
*If you aren't using a candy thermometer (which I highly recommend) you can test candy the old fashioned way using cold water. Click here to read all about testing candy using cold water.