This recipe isn't written in Grammy's handwriting except for the addition of the notation "Rozelia's" in the upper left corner. The recipe is noted as "delicious" by the writer.
Interestingly, the recipe shows both an oven temperature and the definitions "moderate" and "slow". This may help us determine the baking temp and time of other recipes that are to be baked in a "moderate oven" or "slow".
- 1 3/4 cups Sperry drifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons double action baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening (writer says she used Crisco and "it was a very good cake")
- 3/4 cup undiluted evaporated milk
- 1 whole egg (unbeaten)
- Extract to taste [could this be vanilla extract?]
- Fruit or nuts added if desired ("This cake is grand cook in (loaf pan) about 5 in deep")
Instructions are not present for the recipe except for an oven temperature of 325°F and the note "bake slow–moderate–1 hr + 10 min.".