This recipe is written in a handwriting I don't recognize and is attributed to Lois Downey. This recipe calls for frying the puffs. Make sure you have your deep fat frying setup in addition to the ingredients below.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground Mace [a sister spice to nutmeg]
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil
- Sift together dry ingredients
- Add egg, buttermilk, and oil
- Stir with a fork until smooth like a yeast dough
- Drop by spoonful into a deep fat fryer or deep skillet of hot fat
- Fry for 4-5 minutes
It would be interesting to play with this recipe and see if different versions can be made with various flavor profiles (e.g., cheese buttermilk puffs, garlic buttermilk puffs, vanilla buttermilk puffs).