This typewritten recipe is attributed to Mary Greiner.
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup (dark Karo can be used in place of white to give is a caramel flavor)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- Vanilla or almond extract [no measurement is given but I'm guessing a teaspoon would do]
- Nuts, cherries and/or coconut (optional)
- Place sugar, salt, syrup, and water in a saucepan to boil
- Cook until hard brittle stage* (300°F-310°F)
- The secret of divinity is to have the syrup crackle when tapped on edge of cup
- Add slowly to stiffly beaten egg whites and beat until candy begins to stiffen
- Add vanilla or almond flavor, nuts, cherries and/or coconut (whichever is preferred). When using an electric mixer it is best to remove from beater and continue by hand when adding nuts, etc.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper
*If you aren't using a candy thermometer (which I highly recommend) you can test candy the old fashioned way using cold water. Click here to read all about testing candy using cold water.