This recipe appears to be written in Grammy's handwriting (her handwriting looked different when she wrote in fountain pen). It is undated, but I suspect this recipe pre-dates 1941 (the year she got married). This candy sounds very much like a taffy.
- 2 cups molasses
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Put all ingredients (except vinegar) into a large saucepan
- Cook fast until a little of the mixture dropped into cold water feels brittle [this must be the hard crack stage* (300°F-310°F)]
- Add vinegar
- Cook 2 minutes more
- Pour into a greased pan to cool
- As soon as possible, pull with fingers until white
- Cut into pieces before it is too hard
*If you aren't using a candy thermometer (which I highly recommend) you can test candy the old fashioned way using cold water. Click here to read all about testing candy using cold water.