This recipe appears to be written in Grammy's handwriting (her handwriting looked different when she wrote in fountain pen). It is undated, but I suspect this recipe pre-dates 1941 (the year she got married).
What I like about this recipe is that is appears to be a great way to make homemade candies that could be used as breath-mints or lozenges.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 drops essence of peppermint [peppermint essential oil]*
- In a saucepan, cook the water and sugar until it reaches thread stage (230°F-235°F)**. Do not stir while cooking
- Remove from fire
- Add peppermint and stir until candy thickens and looks cloudy
- Drop immediately from a teaspoon onto waxed paper or a greased plate
- If it becomes too hard to drop, warm by standing the saucepan over hot water for a moment
*Wintergreen may be substituted for peppermint [I imagine any flavor of essential oil could be substituted as well]
**If you aren't using a candy thermometer (which I highly recommend) you can test candy the old fashioned way using cold water. Click here to read all about testing candy using cold water.